Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mutilated

The natural pattern of a tree is to grow
straight and tall
skyward
Eight years have past now
since these little trees were topped
with the angry swipe of a knife
The survivors slowly
finding a way to adjust,
stunted
but alive.

Much the same
I imagine,
as the widows of the
swipe
at the Twin Towers
once reaching straight and tall
skyward.

It was shortly after that 9/11
shockwave
when we were still debating
our nation’s response
I hiked this trail
heavy with the world’s sorrow
coming upon
little tree after little tree
topped
with their bright green crowns
stunned with the sudden
be-heading
slender trunks cut
raw and weeping

For a half mile
I walked and wept
praying over the trees
praying over those of the fallen towers
praying over all those our war
would be-head
cutting short more lives
mutilating more futures.

What kind of person
would mutilate
dozens of young trees
living
their lives out
reaching for the sun?
What kind of nation
would mutilate a
society of people, families
and landscapes
living
their lives out
on top of a land
rich with oil,
worshiping God
with a different name?

I do what I can do.
I hold a hand of healing
over the raw wounds.
I gather the tops
so they are together
and write a prayer.
I leave it all
in the woods
with let the cry
of the wind
send me home.

This poem came today years later as I was checking out the trees progress while on the ridge.  I was too broken up about it all years ago to pen a poem.  Today wasn't much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment