Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Welcoming Stump

Taking off up the trail to the ridge yesterday I met a Rubicon Ramblings fan.  Imagine our surprise.  Me to meet a fan who had been giving the book to all her friends, and her to discover she was literally on the trail of the poems.  I didn’t even get her name, yet this poem is dedicated to her.  It is about the stump whose picture is on page 53.

The Welcoming Stump

I come again
this time
the gifts I gave you
last time
have fallen
from your lap
to your feet
pretty twists of weathered root
bright green clusters of moss
a delicate puzzle piece of bark
laid in side the hollow of
The Welcoming Stump
forever the container of my prayers
for wandering with my muse
on this ridge with clarity.

The very shape of the stump
calls for me to
embrace the future
while being embraced
by the past,
a shape
of both gathering and releasing
Nothing is worth holding onto
even prayers
and gifts
just touch the feet
of the guru
and dissolve into tomorrow
Come everything
be gathered into my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment